Read Before Your Pets Surgery
DURING THE COVID PANDEMIC, WE WILL BE ADMITTING PATIENTS BY MEETING YOU IN THE PARKING LOT. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR SURGERY CONSENT FORM HAS BEEN FILLED OUT IN ADVANCE AND EMAILED TO SPAY@FURRYFRIENDSREFUGE.ORG OR PRINTED OUT WITH YOU. BELOW IS THE CONSENT FORM:
- If your pet has been to a vet previously, please review your records to let us know if he or she will need a distemper booster, rabies booster, flea preventative, and/or microchip
- Remove food by 10pm the evening before surgery. You do not need to restrict water prior to your pet’s surgery
- DURING THE COVID PANDEMIC, YOUR DROP OFF TIME WILL BE SCHEDULED DURING A 10 OR 15 MINUTE INTERVAL BETWEEN 8-9am. PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR CAR WHEN YOU ARRIVE AND HAVE YOUR CONSENT FORM EMAILED OR PRINTED TO EXPEDITE THE PROCESS
- The clinic’s address is 1209 Grand Ave. in West Des Moines
- If you must cancel your appointment, it must be completed online through the link provided in your appointment booking email and must occur 48 hours BEFORE your scheduled surgery day.
- Your animal must be healthy and at least 2 lbs for surgery. Older animals are highly recommended to visit a vet to have bloodwork checked prior to any procedure requiring anesthesia.
- Due to a high amount of bad checks, we are only able to accept cash or credit card as payment
Post Surgery Information
You will receive a scheduled pick up time at the clinic when you drop your pet off the morning of surgery.
The evening after your pet’s surgery, provide him or her with a quiet place to rest. Food may be withheld for the rest of the day or you may offer 1/2 a meal as anesthesia can cause nausea or vomiting after surgery. Water intake should be monitored if your pet is still groggy. Normal food and water intake may resume the next morning.
Continue monitoring the surgery site in the following week as well as restrict strenuous activity (high jumping, rough play, etc.) for 7-10 days. Your pet should also not be bathed for at least 4 days from the surgery. Some minor swelling at the surgery site may occur but swelling should not be excessive. If you have concerns about your pet’s recovery from surgery, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 515-229-4566 the clinic to speak with our medical staff. E-mail is preferred as it can be checked remotely and more frequently for any urgent concern. Behavior that is not normal would include:
- Vomiting after 24 hours
- Diarrhea or Refusal to eat/drink for 48 hours
- Bleeding or Sever Pain
- Continuous licking or pulling at sutures